- Community Calendar: January 21
- YAPS and Yucaipa Lions to Host Tails and Trails Dog Walk to Raise Funds for Homeless Pets
- Make Plans to Attend the Yucaipa Chamber’s Annual Installation and Community Awards Banquet
- Riley’s Farm Owner Featured on Huckabee TV, Reviews Lawsuit for Expressing His Personal Opinions
- Parent Information Meetings Scheduled for Student Required Sex Ed and HIV/AIDS Prevention Classes
Yucaipa Youth Wrestling Competes in State Tournaments
Yucaipa Youth Wrestling, a league comprised of children 7 to 14 years old, sent participants to two state wrestling tournaments in the month of March. At the SCWAY Tournament in Fresno on March 19, two Yucaipa competitors placed in their categories: Mark Ramirez, a first year wrestler weighing 38 pounds, placed fourth in the Bantam 6U category; Diego Costa, 110 pounds, placed third in the 9/10 Novice category.
At the CAGWA USA Wrestling Folkstyle State Championships in Fresno on March 26, Mark Ramirez wrestled Bantam 40 pounds, placing fifth. Erik Ramirez, 60 pounds, placed eighth in a 21-man bracket for the Novice 9/10 category. Diego Costa placed eighth for the Novice 9/10 Years at 120 pounds category. Savannah Gutierrez wrestled Intermediate Girls 55 pounds, placing fourth in her first state tournament. Steven Grode placed fifth in the Intermediate category.
“These kids have been working non-stop, with practices three to four times a week in order to get ready for these tournaments,” said Karina Ramirez, a Yucaipa Youth Wrestling parent. “Special thanks to Coach Diego Costa for spending every Sunday at tournaments prior to preparing, as well as Coach Steve Grode and Anthony Loera.”
Although the official season is over, many participants will continue to meet by choice for regular practices. They will also participate in extra practices to prepare for the upcoming season. To inquire about Yucaipa Youth Wrestling, visit YucaipaWrestling.com.