- Crafton Hills College Earns Five California Community Colleges’ Strong Workforce Stars
- New to Yucaipa — Racquetball Tournament on June 30
- Rep. Paul Cook Votes in Support of Legislation to Stem Opioid Epidemic
- New, Interactive Space “Gone Camping” Opens at San Bernardino County Museum
- Celebrate the 4th of July and Support YAPS at the Same Time
Yucaipa Branch Library to Launch Summer Reading Program
Are you and your kids ready to “Set Sail for Adventure?” The Yucaipa Branch Library has announced their plans for this year’s Summer Reading Program and have planned numerous adventure activities for children to encourage them to continue reading throughout their summer vacation.
San Bernardino County (SBC)’s Yucaipa Librarian Liz Williams has indicated that they want children to maintain their academic reading level between the end of the school year and the start of school in the fall. Whereas the state-wide goal is for children to read three books this summer, SBC has much more ambitious reading goals for children based on their age.
The Summer Reading Program will begin next Monday with a Kick-off Event at 11:30 a.m. and again at 1:30 p.m. featuring The Wacko Magic Show. Each Monday through August 4 will feature a performer at 3:30 p.m. such as puppeteers, magic shows and reptile education. The schedule includes:
- Monday, June 18 Thor’s Reptiles
- Monday, June 25 Noteworthy Puppets
- Monday, July 2 Joe Gandelman, Ventriloquist and Puppet Show
- Monday, July 9 Arty Loon’s Variety Show: Magic, juggling and more
- Monday, July 16 Kreepy Kreatures Reptile and Bird Show
- Monday, July 23 Kinderwise Interactive Musical Show
- Monday, July 30 Saving Wildlife International Live Animal Show
Special activities for the reading program will include a Craft Station for discovering the sea at 11 a.m. on Tuesdays designed for children ages 6 to 11. Wednesdays will be Story and Craft Time for younger children, also at 11:00 a.m. Thursdays at 11:00 will feature Water Babies, an opportunity to sing, dance and enjoy wonderful stories each week.
The Yucaipa Branch Library will be full of free activities this summer to both encourage reading and other fun learning activities. Regular Yucaipa Library hours are: Mondays through Wednesdays – 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Thursdays and Fridays – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and, Saturdays — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The library is closed on Sundays.
For additional information about the Yucaipa Branch Library to: www.sbclib.org or call: 909-790-3146.