- Crafton Hills College and City of Yucaipa Install Banners Promoting the Local College
- Yucaipa Recruiting for Position of Crossing Guard for the 2018/19 School Year
- Yucaipa Rotary’s Braswell Memorial Golf Tournament Returns for 5th Annual Event on Sept. 21
- Community Calendar: August 13
- Three Yucaipians part of Crafton Hills College’s 89th Paramedic Class Graduates
San Bernardino County Sheriff warns residents on IRS scams
As taxpayers begin gathering their papers and forms for the tax-filing season, the San Bernardino County Sheriff is alerting residents to IRS scams and to be aware of con artists preying on people – especially senior citizens – using common techniques including:
- Con artists will pretend to be IRS agents and threaten to arrest people if you don’t immediately provide over-the-phone payment. Never provide anyone with personal information over the phone.
- Lawbreakers will attempt to trick victims with email scams to get people to think they are receiving officials email from the IRS. These may include links to fraudulent web sites. These sites may ask for Social Security numbers and personal information, which is then used to file false tax returns.
- Criminals may steal mail from unsecured mail boxes. Consider having any important documents directly to your local U.S. Post Office.
Also, other sources urge individuals who anticipate receiving a tax return to arrange for a direct bank deposit as opposed to a hard check. If you choose to receive a hard copy tax return check and have not received it after a reasonable period of time, contact the IRS. Thieves will seek out IRS checks in the mail and steal them for both the money as well as the other personal information on the checks for their future use.
If you feel you have been victimized by an IRS scam you should contact both of the following authorities:
- Your local law enforcement agency in order to file a report. The Yucaipa police can be reached at 34144 Yucaipa Blvd in Yucaipa or at 909-918-2305.
- The IRS Fraud Reporting Hotline at 800-366-4484.