- New Exhibit by Artist Bernard Hoyes Opens Sunday at San Bernardino County Museum
- YAPS Holiday Cards and 2020 Calendar Will Make Your Life Easier and Support a Great Cause
- Yucaipa High School Diver Captures Two Competitive Diving Awards
- Give Yourself a Home for the Holidays
- Be Part of a Caring Community at the Sandalwood Fire Community Fundraiser
Operation Recognition Veterans Diploma Project to Bestow Diplomas to Six Vietnam Veterans
Perhaps you know of a U.S. military veteran whose tour of duty interrupted their high school education. Perhaps that someone is you. The San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools, in partnership with the County Department of Veterans Affairs, has been working for the past ten years to rectify this situation with the Operation Recognition Veterans Diploma Project.
Operation Recognition Veterans Diploma Project provides veterans and internees, who were unable to complete high school due to military service or internment, the opportunity to receive a high school diploma, according to the state education code. Veterans who served in and received an honorable discharge from World War II, the Korean War or the Vietnam War; or individuals who were interned in a Japanese American relocation camp and are San Bernardino County residents are eligible to participate.
On Wednesday, Nov. 6, six San Bernardino County Vietnam War veterans will receive their high school diplomas through the Operation Recognition Veterans Diploma Project. This will be the 11th graduation class for the veterans diploma project. Since the program began in San Bernardino County more than 280 veterans — from World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War — have been recognized since the first graduation ceremony in 2009.
Veterans in this year’s graduating class are:
- Steve Sanchez Bustos of Ontario, Vietnam War, Marines;
- Steven James Meadows of Hesperia, Vietnam War, Marines;
- Edward Alvin Molina of Chino, Vietnam War, Army;
- Richard Donald Simpson of Apple Valley, Vietnam War, Navy;
- Robert C. Standon of Ontario; Vietnam War, Navy;
- James Michael Whitmore of Twentynine Palms, Vietnam War, Marines
This year’s ceremony will be held at Serrano High School in Phelan, part of the Snowline Joint Unified School District. Following the graduation ceremony, veterans and their guests will be honored at the 25th annual Veterans Dinner at Serrano High gymnasium hosted by the Snowline Joint Unified School District, Tri-Community Kiwanis and Victorville Motors.
San Bernardino County veterans whose high school education was interrupted by U.S. military service and are interested in obtaining their high school diplomas should contact the San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools at: 909-888-3228.