- CA Association of Counties awards San Bernardino with five best practice recognitions
- Free Hands-Only CPR Training at Crafton Hills College Next Thursday
- Cosmic Nights with the San Bernardino Valley Amateur Astronomers at the SBC Museum
- Rep. Paul Cook to Hold Information Session for Students Interested in Attending Military Academies
- SPARC, Inc. hosts Back to School events at two Yucaipa Millennium Mobile Home Communities
City of Yucaipa now offers classes in Tai Chi
Looking for a new way to relieve stress and exercise at the same time? Consider the new Tai Chi classes at the Scherer Community Center.
According to the Mayo Clinic tai chi is an ancient Chinese tradition that, today, is practiced as a graceful form of exercise. It involves a series of movements performed in a slow, focused manner and accompanied by deep breathing. Originally developed for self-defense, tai chi has evolved into a graceful form of exercise that’s now used for stress reduction and a variety of other health conditions. Often described as meditation in motion, tai chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements. It is a noncompetitive, self-paced system of gentle physical exercise and stretching. Each posture flows into the next without pause, ensuring that your body is in constant motion.
The city’s tai chi classes are available from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays. Fees for the classes are $25 per month or $4 per class. The Scherer Community Center is located at 12202 First St. in Yucaipa.
Registration is available at either the Yucaipa Community Center at 34900 Oak Glen Road in Yucaipa or by printing out, completing and submitting your registration at the Yucaipa Community Center. The registration form is available at: http://yucaipa.org/wp-content/uploads/com_svcs/Activity_Registration_Form.pdf. Alternatively, you can register online at: https://apm.activecommunities.com/yucaipa/Home. For additional information call the Scherer Community Center at 909-797-1177.