- OmniTrans Offering Third Year of 1 Summer Discount Fare for Youth Ages 18 Years and Younger
- San Bernardino County’s Footsteps2Brillance Summer Reading Challenge Now Underway
- Celebrating the Tax Advantages of Homeownership
- Hurry! Yucaipa’s 2019 Summer Youth Basketball Registration Extended Until Thursday, June 14
- CERT Training Returns to Yucaipa, Sign-Up Before June 17
City of Yucaipa Joins Calimesa in Celebrating Memorial Day at Desert Lawn Funeral Home
Yucaipa Mayor Bobby Duncan, Calimesa Pro Tem Linda Molina and Navy veteran Lisa Roybal will serve as speakers for the upcoming Memorial Day remembrance and celebration on Monday, May 27 at 10 a.m. at Memorial Day in Calimesa. The free event is themed “WW2 – The Greatest Generation.”
Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day and originated in the years following the Civil War. It became an official federal holiday in 1971. It is a uniquely American holiday celebrated on last Monday of May in order to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.
The Civil War claimed more lives than any conflict in U.S. history and necessitated the establishment of the country’s first national cemeteries. The Civil war ended in 1865 and by the late 1860s, many Americans began holding springtime tributes to these countless fallen soldiers, decorating their graves with flowers and reciting prayers, a tradition which continues to this day.
The Yucaipa/Calimesa Memorial Day event at Desert Lawn will also include free hot dogs for those in attendance. Desert Lawn Funeral Home is located at 11251 Desert Lawn Drive in Calimesa. For additional information or any questions please call 909-795-2451.